~Welcome to a-wimoweh.blogspot.com......a place where you can share your thoughts on social networking issues~

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Poll results 19/1/09

According to the poll results that we've got for last week, (In case you have forgotten, the question was "Do you think social sites are the best and safest way to expand your personal network?") most of people voted the answer "Yes". 60% of people voted "yes" and 40% of people voted "no".



I personally actually voted for "No" !

Even though the social sites are really convenient and fast for everyone to meet new people exspecially for the young generation like us, I still think that it is not safe. And I am not feeling comfortable to chat with some strangers over the internet.

Why I feel uncomfortable?

Back to a few years ago, well, 7 years ago, when i was 12 years old, I got my first computer and first time using the internet ( During that time I was using Jaring -.-)
I was using mIRC and ICQ to chat with my friends. I was young and naive and stupid and thought meeting new friends on the internet was cool! So, I started to chat with strangers in mIRC. There were so many different kind of chat rooms and you can even create your own chat room!

But, out of 10 of the strangers that I sincerely and kindly chat with, 10 of them would reply me the same thing:

Me: Hi, nice to meet you!
X: asl pls
Me: 13 f m'sia (I did not think of cheating my identity in those days)
X: Wanna have cybersex?
Me: has leave the chatroom

Although I wasn't sure what is a "cybersex" means but I was smart enough to know the word "sex" !. Unbelievable......

I was so disappointed and sad and feel creepy after all those bad experinces! Gosh......

Well, maybe because of that, ever since then I don't chat with strangers, only chat with my friends.

Do you have some kind of similiar experiences like what I had?
Share your opinions or stories with us!~

-Siew Ching-

1 comment:

  1. Yea.. I have that experience too. I really thought making friends through the internet was totally cool. As you get to make unlimited friends. It is alos known the IN thing. But came to think of it.. Felt very insecure when a stranger chats about inappropriate content like cybersex. Parents should teach their teens to beware with these..

    ReplyDelete