~Welcome to a-wimoweh.blogspot.com......a place where you can share your thoughts on social networking issues~

Sunday, February 1, 2009

Facebook lost people's email notification settings

Last week, one of my friends told me that he got an email from Facebook saying that they have lost his email notification settings. “How can Facebook lose people's email notifications? Not possible” I thought. At first my friend did not believe that email, he thought it was a phishing email. Even if he checked the url in the email and it seemed valid but for some reason he still could not believe it.

But until he logged into Facebook and found the same message on the home page. So, the email was legit and Facebook had indeed lost his email preferences.

Facebook email notifications

It is very concerning to me. How can a company like Facebook lose data? Millions of people put a lot of data on Facebook and how can Facebook not keep proper safeguard to make sure data does not get lost and proper backups to restore the data. It is not clear if a programming error or human error cleared all the data or did somebody break into the database/file system and cleared it out. I am not sure if it was just my friend or others got affected as well?

Did you receive similar message from Facebook?

-Siew Ching-

3 comments:

  1. Just would like to share. I was researching about the leading social networking sites like Facebook and Bebo. According to the Computing Which ? magazine poll in UK, Bebo has actually beaten Facebook by 5% because of Bebo's impressive performance. Many facebook users commented that the security settings its complicated and underperforming. I havent received any emails regarding this. Thanks for the early reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't receive any emails regarding this yet.. but after reading your article, i guess everyone has to be very careful when dealing with this social networking sites, mainly facebook..be alert people.. =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. nope..I didn't receive any emails regarding this..I can't believe that Facebook lose their data..they should safeguard those data properly..I hope that Facebook will have a backup for their data..
    Thanks for the reminder.. =)

    ReplyDelete