~Welcome to a-wimoweh.blogspot.com......a place where you can share your thoughts on social networking issues~

Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Facebook Mystery: Who Created "25 Random Things About Me"?

If you haven’t heard about the current “25 Random Things About Me” phenomenon sweeping Facebook, well, it probably means at the very least that you’re not on Facebook and you clearly haven’t been spending much time online lately.

This “25 Random Things About Me” chain letter thing, is threatening to consume what little remaining free time and privacy we have. In fact, "25 Random Things About Me" has become so quickly spread in the two or three weeks since it apparently started (by whom, no one seems to know, not even at Facebook headquarters in Palo Alto, Calif.)

Here's how it works: Your friend create list of 25 random things about themself, post it on Facebook, and then “tag” 25 of their friends. When you get “tagged,” you’re supposed to create your own list, along with instructions you want others to follow. You are then expected to tag in 25 people, including the friend who asked for it in the first place, and so on.
25 random things about me“Other types of content, like photos or news stories, have spread rapidly and widely on Facebook, but this is the first time I’ve noticed a note gain such distribution,” Brandee Barker, a Facebook spokeswoman, said. (For more information, please click here)

As for me, I've warned my friends that do not tag me such chain letter thing or I will still ignore it. I really don't like to do this kind of thing and let other friends who I am not close with to know about my personal stuff. And I started to think this is some kind of virus going around in Facebook. But seems like many people are doing it because all the other cool kids were doing it too. And on Facebook you don't want to be left out.

So how about you? What do you think? Love it or hate it?

References: Google, Wall Street Journal, News 10 Febuary 2009, Retrieved 11 Febuary 2009
URL: http://blogs.wsj.com/digits/2009/02/10/facebook-mystery-who-created-25-random-things-about-me

-Siew Ching-

No comments:

Post a Comment